Academic Program Development & Change

Arkansas Code Annotated §6-61-208 charges the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board (Coordinating Board) with the responsibility to evaluate proposals for all new units of instruction, research, and public service, consistent with established role and scope designations, and to approve programs and organizational units based on established policies. A new unit of instruction, research or public service includes:

  • New curricula
  • Majors leading to a new certificate or degree program
  • Establishment of a department, division, college, school, center, and institute
  • Organizational unit not presently established at the institution.

The Coordinating Board is not required to consider reasonable and moderate extensions of existing curricular, research, and public service programs at the public institutions of higher education. Thus, the Coordinating Board has granted oversight authority to the Director of the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) to monitor these activities and notify the Board at its regular meetings. State general revenues cannot be expended for new programs or units that are not approved by the Coordinating Board.

This page sets forth the relevant criteria and compliance procedures for the staff of the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) and administrators and faculty of the public colleges and universities.

New Academic Proposals Policy: AHECB Policy 5.11 Approval of New Degree Programs and Units

Forms & Templates Information/Guidance
Letter of Intent Form (Includes Workforce Analysis) Letter of Intent vs. Letter of Notification - When to Use
Letter of Notification Form  Letter of Notification - Definitions
New Program Proposal Form  CIP-SOC Crosswalk
New Academic Administrative Unit Proposal Form  NAICS Code System
Memorandum of Understanding Template   
Employer Needs Survey-1-Summary   
Employer Needs Survey-2-Career and Technical Programs Only   


Teacher Education Programs and Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Information can be found here.

Forms should be submitted via the ADHE Secure File Transfer System